The American College of Gastroenterology states that 15 million people everyday in the USA experience Heartburn.
It is estimated that One in Five in the UK suffer with Heartburn.
Heartburn is increasing rapidly – over 50% in the last ten years.
Acid reflux is one of the top health related Internet search queries.
According to my Pharmacist “everyone takes heartburn medicine, it is so normal”.
These simple facts tell us that Heartburn is a serious issue in our modern world.
Most of us have experienced heartburn and it is after we have eaten. We feel a burning sensation in our chest and throat area.
We do not like the feeling so –
- We want a solution
- We want to fix this problem
- We want the symptom to go away
- We want a prevention strategy
- We want management of this condition
- We want instant relief
- We want to ignore what our body is telling us
What is Heartburn in simple language?
- We eat something that our body does not want
- We irritate the natural digestion process
- Our body reacts by saying No
- The stomach acid comes up the canal
- We feel the acid burning towards our chest
- It hurts and we don’t like it
Could it be possible that our Heart does not want us to harm our body and literally burn it inside with the acid that our stomach produces which is part of our natural digestion process?
Could it be possible that our lifestyle and diet is un-natural in the western world and that is why heartburn is so common?
Google tells us that ‘lifestyle measures may have preventative benefit for heartburn”.
So if we put our common sense hat on, could it be that simple that all we need is to be aware of what we are choosing to put into our mouth?
Common sense Simple Living Medicine for Heartburn –
- First get medical help. Heartburn can be a sign of a more serious health condition.
- If prescribed medication to relieve the symptoms of heartburn, read the side effects of the medication
- Next – put your common sense hat on:
- Stop and make a note of what you have been eating
- Be open to what maybe causing the heartburn
- Trust your first feeling
- Make a choice to remove the food from your diet and see if anything changes
- Look at the time you are eating
- Be honest about your stress levels
- Get real about how much or little water you are drinking
- Look at the exercise you are doing before or after eating
- Be aware that if you have obesity, it may be a factor to consider
- Check how often you get heartburn
- Start to take Responsibility and introduce simple changes
I am no medical academic or professional but I know common sense Simple Living Medicine has a place alongside conventional medicine and it has clearly worked for me and all those I support.
Taking deep care of our body means we are no longer a drain to our medical system, which is currently under huge pressure due to the rise in illness and disease.
Hope, J. (2011, December 22). Cancer Fears as Fatty Diets Trigger 50% Surge in Heartburn in Just a Decade. Mail Online. Retrieved from http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2077317/Cancer-fears-fatty-diets-trigger-50-surge-acid-reflux-just-decade.html
MacGill, M. (2015, July 22). Acid Reflux: Causes, Symptoms and Treatments. Medical News Today. Retrieved from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/146619.php